g the buttons. I used a simple Dritz button cover kit, and followed their instructions on the back. But for some reason I just could not get it to work. I think that if I had been using a lighter weight fabric it would have quite simple, but this fabric just wasn't working. I had to recruit my dad to make them all for me, and even he had some difficulty. I would recommend purchasing a few extra buttons when you make one. We broke at least three.
***Hey all it's Mandy again, just stoppin over for a quick little Thursday project***
[image source_type=”url” source_title=”Tufted Ottoman” source_value=”https://junkinthetrunkvintagemarket.com/wp-content/uploads/111.jpg” align=”center” lightbox=”true” size=”large”]
This project began approximately 6 months ago when I picked up this guy off the curb in my neighborhood. When I saw it sitting there waiting for the trash I knew I had to have it, it was full of potential, just begging for a redo.
Even-though I said it started 6 months ago really this whole project only took about two hours. I used two yards of home decor fabric, one package of light quilt batting, fifteen button/button covers, an upholstery needle, and a staple gun.
1. I covered the existing ottoman with the quilt batting, to smooth it out and cover up the two layers.
2. Pulling it nice and snug I stapled down the fabric – all around….lots and lots of staples.
3. also known as THE MOST DIFFICULT STEP coverin
4. I used a total of 13 buttons, making a diamond formation, five in the middle row and four in the top and bottom rows. After measuring out where each button would go I used the upholstery needle to thread them through, being sure to leave enough string to work with on the other side.
5. After all of the buttons were threaded through I flipped it over and began pulling them tight. I used a strong enough string that I could just tie each one in a knot, however you could also staple them to the frame of the ottoman. After tying them all off I trimmed up the edges of the strings and the fabric.
6. Since I used an already existing ottoman it had a piece of black fabric on the bottom, that I removed before I began. I saved that and ended the project by putting it back on. It really gave it a finished look without a lot of work.
After all that hard work, you flip it over and enjoy!
Linked up with:
Sign-up for the latest market updates, ticket information and more!